K's behaviour towards me has significantly improved since he lost his phone twice in one week (for 48 hrs each time).
However, last night he was rude. When I told him to hand over his phone, he refused and said I'd have to physically wrestle him to get it (that would end badly, I knew).
Instead of getting physical, I said until he gives me his phone for 48hrs, I would not be driving him anywhere. He is holding out still, but it has only been one day (he threatened to get his father to drive him, but interesting didn't pursue it, and instead missed cricket training).
My question is: should I continue with this position, or should I snatch it from him when I have the chance, and hide it? (He would probably rampage, but if that's what has to happen, I can live with it).
I would be grateful for your perspective.
First of all, “he was rude” is very vague. What did he actually say or do?
Second, what is he doing to “earn” cell phone privileges?
Whenever a child introduces a new problem on top of an existing one, parents should put the new problem in the “deal-with-it-later” file (*please see Q & A - On Discipline in the chapter of the eBook entitled “The Art of Saying No” – Session #2 – online version).
Re: …he refused and said I'd have to physically wrestle him to get it…
In this case, he is grounded, but the clock does not start until he hands you the cell (*please see Instructional Videos #16 and #17).
Online Parent Support
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (109)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (150)
- Kicking Out a Minor
- Son Skipping School
- Re: Regaining Custody of Son
- Kids & Poor Academic Performance
- It is a difficult time at the moment...
- Teen Doesn't Want To Work
- Teens & Alcohol Abuse
- When Parents Disagree On Discipline
- How successful is house arrest?
- He loves to save his money...
- I fear it is too late...
- She took $40.00 instead of $20.00 out of my accoun...
- Violence On The Rise Among Children?
- Game Addiction
- Cell Phone Problems
- She got a little award at assembly the other day f...
- Adolescence and Narcissistic Disorder—
- It is fantastic!
- We've both cried the past couple of hours at how d...
- I want to believe this was the turning point but h...
- I was on the verge of asking my 16 year old young ...
- 16 year-old son is hangin' with the wrong crowd......
- What direction do I go in?
- School Refusal vs. Truancy
- 16-year-old son using marijuana and RX drugs...
- 16-year-old daughter constantly tells her younger ...
- My husband and I were at the end of our ropes...
- Online Parent Support
- That is my experience...
- I was looking for an Internet Support Group for pa...
- Do we increase the consequence...
- There is no coming back...
- If I encourage him I am damned and if I don't am d...
- I cannot find any instructional video...
- Today is the day he kicked in his bedroom door...
- How to make my 13 yr old girl go to sleep?
- I don’t feel it is fair for us to pay that kind of...
- ▼ 9 (37)
- ► 07 (356)