I am writing for advice on how to get my 7th grade son to do his best in school. He is very intelligent, yet does not seem to care about his schoolwork. He easily makes it on the honor role, but with effort he could be on the top honors. Recently, I discovered that he got a 40% on a Spanish quiz. I asked if he could retake it and he made up some story. After emailing the teacher I discovered that he did retake it during his detention time (which I knew nothing about) and he received the same grade. So now he is lying about his work and about having detention. He is a constant disruption in class. Though the teacher has moved his seat several times he still turns around and talks w/others. What can I do about this??? In general, he is liking 7th grade more because he moves from class to class every 40 minutes. I know that he is easily distracted and we try to give talk w/him about things he can do to focus. The problem is that he doesn't seem to care! He is very active in sports. He is on the soccer team and is doing well with that. He is also playing on a town baseball team. I wanted to take him off of the baseball team, but my husband thinks that will only make matters worse. The busier he is, the better his behavior is, but how do I get him to focus more on his schoolwork??
Thank you again for all of your time and support.
Poor academic performance is addressed in the section of the eBook entitled Read these Emails from Exasperated Parents.
Please look toward the bottom of that page where it reads:
"My 16-year-old son brought home straight F's on his last report card. I grounded him for the entire grading period, but he continues to fail in nearly all subjects. I know he is a bright kid and can do the work when he wants to. What can I do to motivate him?"
Let me know if you need clarification,
Online Parent Support
- ► 19 (104)
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (108)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (149)
- Kicking Out a Minor
- Son Skipping School
- Re: Regaining Custody of Son
- Kids & Poor Academic Performance
- It is a difficult time at the moment...
- Teen Doesn't Want To Work
- Teens & Alcohol Abuse
- When Parents Disagree On Discipline
- How successful is house arrest?
- He loves to save his money...
- I fear it is too late...
- She took $40.00 instead of $20.00 out of my accoun...
- Violence On The Rise Among Children?
- Game Addiction
- Cell Phone Problems
- She got a little award at assembly the other day f...
- Adolescence and Narcissistic Disorder—
- It is fantastic!
- We've both cried the past couple of hours at how d...
- I want to believe this was the turning point but h...
- I was on the verge of asking my 16 year old young ...
- 16 year-old son is hangin' with the wrong crowd......
- What direction do I go in?
- School Refusal vs. Truancy
- 16-year-old son using marijuana and RX drugs...
- 16-year-old daughter constantly tells her younger ...
- My husband and I were at the end of our ropes...
- Online Parent Support
- That is my experience...
- I was looking for an Internet Support Group for pa...
- Do we increase the consequence...
- There is no coming back...
- If I encourage him I am damned and if I don't am d...
- I cannot find any instructional video...
- Today is the day he kicked in his bedroom door...
- How to make my 13 yr old girl go to sleep?
- I don’t feel it is fair for us to pay that kind of...
- ▼ 9 (37)
- ► 07 (355)