“Strong-willed, out-of-control children will rehabilitate themselves when they are ready, and not a minute sooner. They will change their behavior when – and only when – they choose to. The job of parents is not to get children to obey. It is to simply teach them that responsible behavior results in one sort of consequence while irresponsible behavior results in quite another. Oppositional, defiant kids refuse to accept this fundamental reality until they are forced to experience a significant degree of discomfort related to their poor choices. Discomfort comes from parents’ implementation of tough love – and unfortunately, tough love is often tougher on the parent than the child, especially if the parent has adopted an over-indulgent parenting style over the years.”
My Out-of-Control Teen
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (109)
- File Charges Against Your Own Daughter?!
- Interview with Mark Hutten, M.A. [Parents Magazine...
- A quote from an interview with Mark Hutten [Psycho...
- Tired of endless arguments?
- The Difference Between "Punishment" and "Disciplin...
- How Parents Can Help With Teen Depression
- Children and Head-Banging
- Teens and Sugar Addiction
- ▼ 7 (8)
- ► 09 (149)
- ► 08 (397)
- ► 07 (355)