I am still working on instilling assignment 1 into myself. I have caught myself many times arguing with my kids, but quickly caught myself.
My fiancé (to be honest) is not the support network I was hoping for. We live together, and he is here with the kids while I am at work and he hasn't even picked up the your book that I printed out.
I am unsure as to what to do. I have only really begun this today. I had to read it between working full time, a 19-month-old baby, 3 teenage boys, and a teenage daughter that isn't living at home any longer. I guess I am behind schedule.
I apologize. I kept waiting for my fiancé to take the time to go over it with me. I wanted to make sure I could count on his support. I don't believe that I can count on him to support me or even take this new approach seriously. Can I make this work even though he is still living here and not taking this too seriously?
There have been instances where my wife felt un-supported, but she does a good job of asserting herself and telling me what she needs. This is very helpful to me, because I get a clear idea of what I need to do differently.
Anyway, I think it is very possible to make this work even though your fiancé is not taking things seriously. You will have to take the initiative however.
Can you sit down with him sometime and get him up-to-speed on the MOST important parenting strategies. Those would be:
· “The Art of Saying Yes”
· “The Art of Saying No”
· “When You Want Something From Your Kid”
He is probably willing to work with you to at least some degree -- if not, you should get rid of him!
Explain the most important strategies listed above. Keep it short and simple (i.e., summarize these strategies for him). Then the two of you practice, practice, then practice some more. Eventually your new parenting strategies will become habit.
Stay in touch. I’m here for you.
- ► 19 (105)
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (108)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (149)
- ► 08 (393)
- ► 07 (355)
- When the Father Lets the Kids Get Away with Bad Be...
- Our granddaughter is in more trouble...
- It's been hard to take this back seat...
- What will your program teach me?
- Daughter Caught Smoking
- I Don't Want My Kid Following In My Footsteps
- Any Natural Treatment For ADHD?
- He's Soiling His Pants
- How do I deal with my ODD child?
- My daughter feels very frustrated...
- Discipline vs. Punishment
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Problems Waking Teens Up In The Morning
- I Need Some Advice
- Major Improvement
- My Out-of-Control Teen
- I'm Getting No Support From My Fiancé
- My Son Hates Me
- Is She ODD?
- The Dependency Cycle
- Am I Just Seeing This The Wrong Way?
- My Son Starts Fires
- My Son's Father Works Against Me
- ▼ 11 (24)