We have had a major improvement at home for now.
My Hubby went on a work training course about managing change in the workplace, and one thing he learnt regarding change in the workplace was not to just say, "this is what’s happening, now go do it." He was told to keep in regular contact with his employees.
This made him/us realise what we said to our 11-year-old: "Don't like your attitude, don't like your behaviour, change it." But that would be it, we wouldn't do anything or say anything else -- then 3 weeks later we'd be saying the same thing. It was like a big circle that NEVER changed.
So for the last 3 weeks we have been having a nightly meeting with our son. We bring a talking object (only the holder of the object may speak, and we put Josh in charge of what it was to be, so it changes daily), and we discuss the day.
We have found this has had a huge impact with Joshua. He likes attention. So our meetings are when our little one is in bed or outside. We have had to call a couple of what we call “crisis meetings” during the 3 weeks, but generally we have found a major improvement. We spent lots of time on the positives of the day, and we brush over the negatives - unless the day has been a major disaster with extreme behaviour.
This for our family is working well.
See improvements in your home:
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (109)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (149)
- ► 08 (393)
- ► 07 (355)
- When the Father Lets the Kids Get Away with Bad Be...
- Our granddaughter is in more trouble...
- It's been hard to take this back seat...
- What will your program teach me?
- Daughter Caught Smoking
- I Don't Want My Kid Following In My Footsteps
- Any Natural Treatment For ADHD?
- He's Soiling His Pants
- How do I deal with my ODD child?
- My daughter feels very frustrated...
- Discipline vs. Punishment
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Problems Waking Teens Up In The Morning
- I Need Some Advice
- Major Improvement
- My Out-of-Control Teen
- I'm Getting No Support From My Fiancé
- My Son Hates Me
- Is She ODD?
- The Dependency Cycle
- Am I Just Seeing This The Wrong Way?
- My Son Starts Fires
- My Son's Father Works Against Me
- ▼ 11 (24)