Adult consequences that result when one has been raised by an over-indulgent parent—
· Attitude toward life: Self-indulgent, bored, apathetic, restless, no initiative.
· Attitude toward others: Passive expectation of getting from others.
· Attitude toward sex/marriage: Attaches to partners who indulge him. May use attractiveness or pretend weakness.
· Attitude toward work: Expects them to anticipate his wishes. Hates to work. Can't find a job. No career decisions, no preparation, or persistence.
As these adults were growing up, here’s what happened:
They were given their freedom to choose and decide for themselves. They were not given much, if any, discipline or rules. Their parents were very loving and nurturing, but had great difficulty saying "no" and setting limits.
Children with this parenting style tend to have more behavioral problems as adults.
Common traits among these children when they grow up:
· Cannot maintain employment or constantly moves from job to job
· Has a strong dependence on alcohol, substances or negative habits
· Has trouble with significant other relationships (possible multiple divorces)
· Take advantage of friends, family, coworkers, etc.
My Spoiled Teenager