I've been browsing through your website in particular "Help for Struggling Teens".
I have in the past looked at wilderness camps in Canada and also a military academy in Canada (with him having a juvenile record would prevent him from traveling to the U.S). I'm not sure if these would be options for Jordan after he is released from the young offenders centre. He does receive help there as well. Would a private facility or a government run residential or wilderness be beneficial to him after he is released (which is May 30). A government run facility would be accessed through Children and Family Services (this was something the judge had ordered they be involved prior to his release for further assessment and treatment). When I contacted them a month ago I got the impression they aren't too willing to be involved.
We did speak to J___ about this possibly happening this weekend when we saw him. We told him his behaviours have to change. Do you know of any reputable programs in Canada? We had sent J___ to a boarding school when he was in grade 7 and he was expelled after 4 months and we ended with non-refunded tuition, which was expensive, so I'm apprehensive about this.
There are 2 wilderness programs I've researched some - one is private and is about a 2 hour flight away – it’s on Vancouver Island. The other one has to be accessed through Child and Family Services or AADAC and is a 2 hour drive from our place. Both are in the mountains. The website for Vancouver Island is www.canadventure.ca and the other is Enviros Wilderness School Association - Base Camp. I'm not sure if these should be alternatives to follow-up after his custody part. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
I’m not a big fan of Wilderness Programs, Boot Camps, or Brat Camps. Research suggests they are not very effective in the long term. Boarding schools, however, do have a much better track record. The ones I’m familiar with in Canada are:
· Brentwood College School
· Bronte College of Canada
· Havergal College
· Ridley College
· Rosseau Lake College
· Sedbergh School
· Shawnigan Lake School
· St. Andrew's College
· St. Michaels University School
· Stanstead College
· The Bishop Strachan School
I cannot comfortably recommend any other alternatives.
Online Parent Support
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (109)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (149)
- Daughter just scoffs at parent...
- She is now in the custody of DHS, and I'm afraid I...
- My daughter stated that she does not like lacrosse...
- This was a huge step in the right direction...
- Is Tourette's a Behavior Problem?
- I have decided to send D___ to a boot camp...
- When You Think Your Teen Is Using Drugs
- What to do about grandparents...
- Help For Resentment Toward Your "Hateful" Teen
- When Your Teen's Best Friend is a Negative Influen...
- For the most part she does what she’s asked to...
- Teenage Tantrums and Destruction of Property
- We have good days and not so good days...
- Teenage Son Refuses To Go On Vacation With The Fam...
- We have been ignoring behavours for 5 weeks now an...
- Poor Academic Performance Is A Different Animal
- Child abuse rises when dad is away at war—
- It has helped reduced our level of "freak-out"...
- Fear Of Going To The Bathroom
- Is he depressed or extremely manipulative or a com...
- My son gets straight F's across the board...
- Should you discipline a defiant teen who is also s...
- The adults are back in Charge!
- Gang Problem Hits Home
- Behavior Problems at School
- Wilderness Programs?
- Boarding Schools?
- Sibling Bullying
- Does your material work on kids who don't live wit...
- Is this a hard and fast rule we should stick to or...
- How do you suggest handling an unwanted friend?
- What To Do When Your Teenager Comes Home Drunk
- He can sense the weakness in me...
- My daughter has been caught stealing lately...
- It is time for a new day...
- Transcript from "Mothers Only" Group: Q & A
- How do I deal with this...
- She has had sex at age 12, started smoking, drinki...
- Are You Making a Bad Problem Worse?!
- How is it going to work?
- I heard two thuds in the house...
- I have hope for the first time in a long time...
- J was moved from the Young Offenders Centre to a g...
- Stepmom Problems
- ▼ 4 (44)
- ► 07 (355)