How do I encourage some conversation in our home?
I continue to use your strategies from the online book. We continue to have fewer and less intense discussions with our son. In fact, they happen very rarely now.
The issue we still struggle with is getting him to open up and communicate with us. An example, last night he worked. Typically his shift is from 4 pm to ~ 9 pm. He came home ~8:30. After saying hello, I asked "I'm surprised to see you this early. Weren't you busy tonight?" His reply was a one-word answer, "No". I do realize that I didn't form the question the correct way and I allowed him the option of a one-word answer. But in trying to keep the conversation going, all I got were grunts and more one-word answers.
Mark, on a typical day, if we hear 50 words from him we are lucky. There is very little conversation at the dinner table when we eat together and like last night, many of the conversations end with me running out of things to talk about and him going on his way to something he wants to do.
How do I encourage some conversation in our home? He has never been much of a talker, even before all of the behavior problems started.
I don't think you have a problem here. He's not much of a conversationalist, but that's o.k.
I wouldn't try to squeeze words out of him. Don't assume that "few words" = "hidden problems."
Try to match to him. In other words, keep conversations short on your end too. In this way, you will (a) send a message that you are indeed interested in what is going on in his life, and (b) avoid giving him the impression that he is not divulging enough information.
It sounds like he simply does not need a lot of "parent time." I wouldn't take this personally.
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (109)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (150)
- ► 08 (406)
- Why two names?
- How do I encourage some conversation in our home?
- YOUR CHILD'S ACADEMIC SUCCESS
- 27 year-old twins are still behaving like rebellio...
- FDA Has Concerns About ADHD Medications
- Mother Receives an A+
- Self-Reliance is Key!
- The Romeo & Juliet Phenomenon
- Husband is not on the same page...
- Is it realistic to insist on appropriate attitude....
- We need an exorcist!
- What can you tell me about NVLD, and what can a pa...
- Does He Need Residential Placement?
- My Space Predator Exposed
- I just want to make sure this doesn't fall into th...
- Son Vandalizes Mother's Residence
- Daughter Ran Away and Moved In with 21-year-old Bo...
- She is not doing her reputation any favours...
- HEG Biofeedback
- I was so pissed...!
- How To Get Teenagers To Study
- 16-year-old mom in a 35-year-old body...
- Stress-Relief for Stressed-Out Moms
- Son with ODD
- Are we doing the right thing?
- How do you know when it is over the top?
- I Hate You !!
- Desperate mom searches for quick fix...
- Neurofeedback for ADHD
- Mom Has To Attend Counseling
- What do we do next?
- Can you help me sort this out?
- Military School Option
- She won't go to school...
- How can he help himself?
- She's a Kicker!
- We can't make it through the next 6 weeks without ...
- Teen Suicide
- Grounding Teens "From" Their Bedroom
- This is so confusing and hard ...
- ▼ 2 (41)