Teens & Alcohol Drinking
>>>>>>>>>>>>> I’ve commented below.
Our 15 (almost 16 year old) son went to a friend’s house last night for a party.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Did he “earn” this privilege? If so, how?
The parents were home ...the grandmother was there ...they assured me that they would have a close eye on the kids and when I picked him up this morning them other assured me that they were all good. I know the boy whose house the party was at is wild and know that he bragged about having alcohol there. I picked my son up and he seemed fine.
I have software that allows me to monitor his conversations online. Others are typing him about his "condition" last night and he is bragging about not knowing what he was doing and typed that he was "hoaking" (may be a typo but wondering if this slang word means anything to you?!!?!)
I don’t know now what to do?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hoaking? Who knows?
* 7.2 million adolescents drank at least once in the past year
* 2.7 million teens drank alcohol about once a month or more in the past year
* 1 million youths drank at least once a week or more in the past year
* Girls were as likely as boys their age to drink alcohol
Short of keeping him in the house 365 days a year, do the following:
Be sure to clearly state your expectations regarding his drinking and establish consequences for breaking rules. Your values and attitudes count, even though he may not always show it.
If one or more members of your immediate or extended family has suffered from alcoholism, your son may be more vulnerable to developing a drinking problem. He needs to know that for him, drinking may carry special risks.
Should he come home under the influence, make sure he is in no immediate danger due to alcohol abuse, but wait until he is sober to address the problem. When he sobers up, do the following:
Say (with your best poker face), "I’m concerned that you consumed alcohol the other night. I feel worried."
Next, Listen. Give your him a chance to speak (although all you're going to hear is a line of bullshit; he will be angry with you for confronting him and will want you to get off his back; he will probably deny that he drank any alcohol; even if he admits to drinking, he will most likely blame someone else for the drinking episode).
Then say, "The house rule is no drinking before the age of 21. If you choose to ignore this rule, you'll choose the consequence -- the police will be called and you will be charged with minor consumption."
End on a positive note by saying, "To help you be successful with following this house rule, I will provide discipline, structure, added supervision, and spot checks. I know you are more than capable of following this house rule - I have faith in you - I know you can do this!"
If your son has another drinking episode, follow through with the consequence you stated.
1. I have asked him and of course he denies anything went on.
2. Before when we have suspected foul play we have bluffed and he has confessed about being somewhere he should not be or having a SIP of booze...
I know that we have come down VERY hard on him for ANY of these events and as such he has been depressed and house bound ...as virtually all of the parties/houses he gets invited to I KNOW have alcohol and I think he has avoided all contact with kids because of this fear that he will get caught and it's not worth going out at all? That was why we let him go to this SUPERVISED party?! Let me know...
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (109)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (149)
- ► 08 (401)
- Help me please before I go insane...
- I am so deeply worried that my sons will be someho...
- It sounds like she is not even attending the math ...
- Empty Nest Syndrome
- Acknowledgment & Praise
- The keys just came up missing...
- He puts his head down on the desk and pretends to ...
- She’s in an addictive relationship...
- It seems askew to allow 1 kid to sour 3...
- Hey son ...I know you got emotional problems, but ...
- Twin Trouble
- What did I miss here?
- Then he aimed a plunger at my head, which hit me.....
- Could the Meningitis be causing this Bipolar disor...
- I don't think I could follow through with calling ...
- Let's Trouble-Shoot
- We have been having a fair amount of difficulty......
- Don't "Half-Ass" The Program
- He used a condom...
- She is going to make her life very hard by being a...
- Whose Problem Is It?
- I made a new online friend...
- Can I Get a Certificate?
- PC Tattletail
- Aspergers + Borderline Personality Disorder + Alco...
- Should I ground here from youth group?
- Teens & Alcohol Drinking
- You said it would get worse before it gets better ...
- WHAT DO I DO TO STOP HIM?
- Why Only $19.99 ?
- Mark Hutten, M.A.
- ▼ 4 (31)