He blows smoke in my face...
I am very much appreciating the support and book guidance. I have not seen anything yet that helps me deal with another issue, which is huge in our home. My son does smoke when he finds ways to obtain cigarettes. He's been suspended from school, off his basketball team for 3 weeks, but most of the time has not gotten "caught". I firmly believe this is just another means of producing a reaction in me. However, I am deathly allergic to cig smoke and my asthma has required intense treatment as he flaunts his cigs, blows smoke in my face and refuses to change his smoky clothes. I have had 3 bouts of pneumonia this winter, which has knocked me for a loop and I have had to limit our activities. Again I think he is attempting to maintain his control over me and he's doing a great job any suggestions? Thanks
Sorry mom. You're not going to
like my advice, but here goes:
You will not be able to stop him
from smoking. Pick your battles
carefully - and this is not a battle
you should fight. In fact, the
more you worry about it or
lecture him, the more he will
smoke! But you can stop him
from smoking on YOUR
property. Here's what you can
say to your son:
"I can't keep you from damaging
your health by smoking. But it's
your health – and mine! So,
I don't want you smoking in my
house or anywhere on my
property. If you choose to
smoke on my property, you'll
choose the consequence, which
is grounding for 3 days without
privileges (e.g., use of phone,
T.V., computer, etc.)."
If your son smokes on the
property, follow through with the
[Use the strategy “When You Want
Something From Your Kid” in the
Anger Management section of the
online version of the ebook.]
The Strong-Willed Out-of-Control Teen
The standard disciplinary techniques that are recommended for “typical” teenagers do not take into account the many issues facing teens with serious behavioral problems. Disrespect, anger, violent rages, self-injury, running away from home, school failure, hanging-out with the wrong crowd, drug abuse, theft, and legal problems are just some of the behaviors that parents of defiant teens will have to learn to control.
Click here for the full article...
Click here for the full article...
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (109)
- ► 10 (147)
- ► 09 (150)
- ► 08 (408)
- Want Some Peace In Your House Again?
- Teenage Son is a Trouble Maker
- She doesn't seem too worried about her future...
- He is on concerta, strattera, celexa, trazadone......
- We are facing some challenging times ahead...
- Yes ...there actually is audio on the Online Versi...
- Stealing all the money on the debit card...
- Are we still liable for any accidents and injuries...
- School Refusal
- Is she psychotic?
- Ranting & Raving
- Resentment Flu
- Small problems get small consequences.
- My daughter doesn't respond to what we do and rare...
- I feel like no matter what I do, it will be wrong ...
- Adolescent Sex Offenders
- It's All About Money ...right?
- The education of the kids is seriously hampered......
- It would be nice to find a solution...
- He calls us losers and that we suck...
- Kid Has Parents Arrested
- Do I let him continue to suffer...
- Online Parent Support
- I'm so worried that she's driving off to Las Vegas...
- She says I am overprotective and do not trust her....
- Ryan has always been different...
- He threatening to slit my throat...
- She took her tantrum to a whole new level...
- Do you think this is just jealousy...?
- She Will Probably Make It A Disaster
- We are exhausted...how do we get her out this summ...
- I really want my child back...
- Brain on Drugs? NO!
- I'd like to take the door off his room.
- Why don't I just 'know' how to parent the right wa...
- Terminate The Relationship?
- Son Abuses Mother
- Child Anger Revealed
- He's Got 4 Parents.
- J's school counselor recommended a part time job.
- She's got ADHD, Anxiety, Borderline Personality Di...
- She's a Shoplifter!
- He can smell the stink of it...
- He's Being Bullied.
- He blows smoke in my face...
- My 15-year-old daughter had been drinking...
- Picky Eater & Poor Organizer
- Runaway Daughter is Smoking Weed
- Ivy Ridge Academy
- You saved us a lot of money on therapy.
- She's a Pooper.
- Make 'em itch!
- Things were going well for awhile.
- Are you for real?
- ▼ 3 (54)