I am new to your ebook. I am really hoping that I can follow what you have to say. I will give you a little background.
I have a very difficult 15 year old son. He has always been difficult. He is ADHD, ODD and has anxiety issues. He has been on medication since age 8 and just recently went off of it and refuses to go back on it. Because his behavior has not been much worse since going off medication I haven't made that an issue. My son's father left us 6 years ago and moved to another state. He sees my 2 sons (my other is 12 and well behaved) once or twice a year and might call a couple times a month. My older son, J___, hates his father. He doesn't answer his phone calls and hates to go see him. This has made him a more angry kid.
I got remarried a year ago and things have gotten worse. My husband has a hard time hearing J___ treat me the way he does. He is very disrespectful and explodes when things don't go his way. My husband has tried to stay out of it but a few times has intervened which made things worse.
We are in counseling - and have been forever. My marriage is really on the rocks now. I feel like I have to choose between my husband and my son. I am afraid of my son at times and of his anger. I don't want him to end up doing something he is going to regret. I am actually looking at specialty boarding schools now but financially it will ruin us. Your program is kind of my last hope.
Your email to me about faith was very applicable. I am a Christian. But my faith is so small right now. I feel like I have been praying for my son for 15 years with no changes. And now with the problems in my marriage due to my son, my faith is at an all time low. I do tend to beat myself up and tell myself negative things. My counselor is trying to help me stop that. I will try to read your email often and follow it.
I do have a question. You state in the ebook that you ground your child and take away things for 3 days. I'm not quite sure what that means. Do I take away computer, cell phone and ipod (his 3 favorite) but let him do whatever else, like go outside? Or do I make him stay in his room for 3 days and take away the phone and ipod while he is in there (the computerr is in another room).
Also, I keep trying to watch the videos, but nothing happens when I click on them. What program do I need to view them?
Thanks for your help.
First: click here to fix the video problem: Video Problem
Second: BE SURE to listen to ALL the audio files in the Online Version of the eBook. I go into detail about how to implement the 3-day grounding below:
==> Anger Management
==> How Do You Eat An Elephant?
==> Take Everything Away?
Good Luck ...stay in touch,
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (108)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (149)
- ► 08 (393)
- Behavior Contracts
- Out-of-Control 14-Year-Old
- How Do They Earn Their Way Off Discipline?
- I intend to make a fresh start for us...
- JUST THANK YOU
- I have some hope...
- Troubled Teen Schools
- Anything to get a response...
- It Was Just A "Mistake"
- Abort or Adopt?
- My son made somewhat of an about-face-turn...
- Pick Your Battles Carefully
- "My Out-of-Control Teen" eBook on CD.
- I JUST HAVE TO DO IT...
- We don't have boot camps here...
- Join Online Parent Support
- Undiagnosed ADHD & CD?
- I hate labels...
- Right or Privilege?
- Have you ever heard of a case like mine...
- "Professionals" are still talking about 'time-outs...
- My son has been coming home at 3 in the morning......
- My daughter is 14 and has run away from home...
- From St. Paul's Preparatory Academy
- I DIDN'T REACT
- Sign me "an obligated parent..."
- CF Officer Works With Out-of-Control Youth
- 13-Year-Old Refuses To Go To Camp
- Prodigal Son Is Returning Home
- You Just Got Punked -- Again!
- I am proud of myself -- I did it!
- We've wasted hours in counseling...
- How Do I Implement the 3-Day Grounding?
- In a week's time, I've seen a great change...
- When One Parent Sabotages the Other
- I am sleeping on a couch...
- He has run away from home...
- ▼ 7 (37)