Good news (I hope). Just when I resigned myself to not having C___ back home with us in the near foreseeable future, he text messaged my phone requesting birth certificate and bank details because he has found a part time job. (Part time is good because it means he still intends to go to school). His own money is a worry because of his need to drink and smoke it. (And other drugs).
He came around home and visited briefly with his brothers, collected the above requested documents and left. I felt guarded and defensive, (and then guilty because being his mother I should've been more open and "loving"). He didn't know where he was going to be living, but he was clean and looked well, and was polite to myself and his brothers. He wanted to hold the baby and talk with my 9 yr old.
After he left I felt so bad I texted his phone and told him that I love him, even if I have trouble saying it at times. (And after a bit of self-discovery I realised I only have trouble saying it to him, not my other two sons??) He returned the message telling me that even though he hated me at times, and apologised for it, I was still his Mum an he loved me too. Thank God for modern technology because otherwise these sentiments would unsaid. Shame.
Anyway, as I was thinking of him today he texted me again and said he was thinking of coming home, if that was okay. I replied of course it was fine, but decided to leave the logistics until he returns. (The "rules", and if he doesn’t like them that he will have to go). Should I have told him then and there? This is the first time he has asked to come home of his own accord. We have physically dragged him home before.
He later messaged again asking for my help with work/tax related information so I called and he informed me that he would be returning in a few days. I still didn’t say anything about the rules. (Mind you, these rules are no different really to what we tried to enforce before.)
I am STILL afraid of upsetting him.
1. Why do I tread on eggshells around this child for fear of him getting upset?
2. So, why do I treat him differently? (His father died when he as 8 and I put his behaviour down to this earlier on, but then it escalated to the present day.)
3. Why has he managed to dictate the run of the house?
4. Why am I afraid to upset him? I am afraid it is too late for the rules and consequences because he has been away from home, and he has just done whatever he likes in the past. If I told him ‘no’ he would tell me to get f#$% … then go anyway?????
I am feeling some dread at his return... because I am not looking forward to his reaction when we tell him its our way or the highway, (because I don’t want him to leave again).
I only have one phrase for you: You Just Got Punked! (i.e., fell for a manipulated again).
Here you go again -- round 25.
Expect a honeymoon phase where things go well for a few days or weeks, then you'll be right back to where you started (i.e., major parent-child conflict).
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (109)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (149)
- ► 08 (393)
- Behavior Contracts
- Out-of-Control 14-Year-Old
- How Do They Earn Their Way Off Discipline?
- I intend to make a fresh start for us...
- JUST THANK YOU
- I have some hope...
- Troubled Teen Schools
- Anything to get a response...
- It Was Just A "Mistake"
- Abort or Adopt?
- My son made somewhat of an about-face-turn...
- Pick Your Battles Carefully
- "My Out-of-Control Teen" eBook on CD.
- I JUST HAVE TO DO IT...
- We don't have boot camps here...
- Join Online Parent Support
- Undiagnosed ADHD & CD?
- I hate labels...
- Right or Privilege?
- Have you ever heard of a case like mine...
- "Professionals" are still talking about 'time-outs...
- My son has been coming home at 3 in the morning......
- My daughter is 14 and has run away from home...
- From St. Paul's Preparatory Academy
- I DIDN'T REACT
- Sign me "an obligated parent..."
- CF Officer Works With Out-of-Control Youth
- 13-Year-Old Refuses To Go To Camp
- Prodigal Son Is Returning Home
- You Just Got Punked -- Again!
- I am proud of myself -- I did it!
- We've wasted hours in counseling...
- How Do I Implement the 3-Day Grounding?
- In a week's time, I've seen a great change...
- When One Parent Sabotages the Other
- I am sleeping on a couch...
- He has run away from home...
- ▼ 7 (37)