I hate labels...
My son L___ who is twelve is challenging at home but I have learnt many coping strategies over the years. L___ has been put on the gifted register by his geography teacher but there are not many of his teachers that can cope with his 'behaviour and attitude'. I have read your reports on disorders and I have considered L___ could have ODD long before now. I had never considered ADHD, but after reading up on it tonight, he displays many of these traits. What do I do with a gifted child whom I am already struggling to get teachers to understand his needs, if it is possible that this is being compromised by possibly ODD and ADHD. I also worry because I feel it is to easy these days to label a child with some kind of deficit disorder. I hate labels as they tend to stick.
Several quick points here:
1st - ODD rarely travels alone. ODD usually occurs alongside another disorder (usually ADHD).
2nd - Parent Education Training (PET) is the standard, recommended treatment for ODD/ADHD. You will get this education in my eBook.
3rd - You will not be able to do it alone (i.e., get your son's behavior back on a good track). Some parents think they can do it themselves. The result however is years of trial and error with no improvement. Please seek my assistance or the assistance of someone in your local area.
'My Out-of-Control Teen' eBook
- ► 19 (105)
- ► 14 (62)
- ► 13 (52)
- ► 12 (57)
- ► 11 (108)
- ► 10 (145)
- ► 09 (149)
- ► 08 (393)
- Behavior Contracts
- Out-of-Control 14-Year-Old
- How Do They Earn Their Way Off Discipline?
- I intend to make a fresh start for us...
- JUST THANK YOU
- I have some hope...
- Troubled Teen Schools
- Anything to get a response...
- It Was Just A "Mistake"
- Abort or Adopt?
- My son made somewhat of an about-face-turn...
- Pick Your Battles Carefully
- "My Out-of-Control Teen" eBook on CD.
- I JUST HAVE TO DO IT...
- We don't have boot camps here...
- Join Online Parent Support
- Undiagnosed ADHD & CD?
- I hate labels...
- Right or Privilege?
- Have you ever heard of a case like mine...
- "Professionals" are still talking about 'time-outs...
- My son has been coming home at 3 in the morning...
- My daughter is 14 and has run away from home...
- From St. Paul's Preparatory Academy
- I DIDN'T REACT
- Sign me "an obligated parent..."
- CF Officer Works With Out-of-Control Youth
- 13-Year-Old Refuses To Go To Camp
- Prodigal Son Is Returning Home
- You Just Got Punked -- Again!
- I am proud of myself -- I did it!
- We've wasted hours in counseling...
- How Do I Implement the 3-Day Grounding?
- In a week's time, I've seen a great change...
- When One Parent Sabotages the Other
- I am sleeping on a couch...
- He has run away from home...
- ▼ 7 (37)